MAD (Mindie, Adam, Alex, David) Family Fun is the result of friends and family asking "How do you find so much fun stuff to do?" So, I decided to share with everyone! There are no BIG secrets involved, I promise. I just have a knack for finding fun and now I want to share it with you!

MAD Family Fun is a place to find activities, events and ideas to have more fun with your family. Enjoy!

Friday, November 11, 2011

Veteran's Day

Today is Veteran's Day. But what does that mean?

Well Veteran's Day (originally called Armistice Day) came about in 1919. It was to remember the end of WWII “the war to end all wars,” which happened at a ceases fire at the 11th hour, on the 11th day, of the 11th month. Over time congress has passed bills turning Armistice Day into our modern Veteran's Day.

But what does it all mean????? Well the best way to put it is today is a celebration to honor America's veterans for their patriotism, love of country, and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good.

Now I know a lot of people are anti-war or don't believe in the cause that some of the wars/actions/conflicts were based on. And to that I say everyone has the right to an opinion. But try to remember you have that right because our Veterans fought so you could have it.

So today, take a minute to thank a service person. They are easy to spot when they are in uniform, but check out the hats some of the older generation wear and you will see names of ships or other hints that they are veterans too. Make a point of walking up and shaking their hand and saying thank you. This is something I (and now I am teaching my son) to do, everyday, not just on Veteran's Day. If they are at dinner with family, say excuse me first, but thank them AND their family. Their family had to face time without them while they were defending out freedoms.

Both of my Grandfathers were in WWII and I am sorry for the things they faced, but thankful for their sacrifice so I and my family have the right to be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment